Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sylvia the comedian!

Sylvia is one of our llama girls. She is actually very beautiful, however due to the subject of today's post, I tried to use the goofiest picture of her that I could find.

I always tell people that alpacas and llamas usually don't spit at people. They will spit at each other during squabbles over food or hay. They may also spit if they don't want us to give them a shot. If you have a bezerk male llama (like we do) who doesn't like "change" or new faces, you will also see the spit fly. But for the most part, we don't get spit at very often by our animals.

Sylvia is the major exception on our farm. I'm not sure where she learned it, but she likes to play a trick on new visitors or us if we forget her little joke. She will come up to the side of the fence and reach her face over to look at you and when you lean in and look back at her pretty face -- SPLOOSH!!! She'll get you!

Today it's "warm" out - temps in the 20's. I decided that since the girls have been cooped up for a couple of days, I would let them out. First I let myself out the side door and closed it behind me so I could make a quick check of the fence...just in case snow or animals or something made a weak spot. Everything looked fine so I went back and opened the door - SPLOOSH!! That darn Sylvia was standing at the door when I opened it! I shut the door in her face and got my bearings, then opened the door again -- SPLOOSH!!

That little wench spit at me a second time! I held my hand up in front of her face as a shield and scolded her. I doubt that she cared at all. I'm sure she was laughing at me the whole time! I let the girls outside and checked out my hat. It wasn't in too bad of shape...just a few green chunks of hay. The smell was fierce but I was no worse for wear.
After morning chores were finished and I went inside to clean up, I noticed a few green splatters on my glasses. I haven't lost all my dignity - at least there were no witnesses, right? ... and Sylvia had her fun for the day!

No comments: