Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winter officially begins December 21...

This picture isn't actually from this winter but it could be. We had blizzard conditions last week and more snow on Monday so it's definitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Well the last post I made to this blog was a few weeks ago and I've probably lost all my regular visitors. I apologize for that. As I mentioned in the last post, my computer died on Thanksgiving. I later found out I would need a new "motherboard" and "power supply" in order to bring the computer back to life. The cost of doing that would be close to buying a new computer so I've had to think on it for awhile. In the meantime, I'm limping along with a very old computer and occasionally borrowing the use of my mom's computer (like right now as I type this).

Winter is kind of rough at our farm, worrying about the water pump freezing up in the barn, keeping the animals cozy and warm, clearing snow when needed, and working outdoors in the cold. I'm a big whiner about putting on my snow pants and heavy boots, along with layers of sweatshirts and coats, thick gloves and a hat. I must be ten pounds heavier when I walk outside in the winter and it gets to be a bit of a workout just to do the regular chores.

Speaking of bundling up, we had to do that in our homes last week. As a result of the big snowstorm, we lost power for about 12 hours at my house and about 15 hours at the farm. Luckily it was "warmer" outside that day so temperatures in the house only got to about 40 degrees. It's a pretty hopeless feeling when you don't have a fire place or alternate heat source to heat up your home! But all is well now and hopefully we won't have any more problems.

I plan to resume posting blogs on a more frequent basis again so check back now and then to see if I've kept my word.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: